I’ve tried many chili recipes and, in my opinion, this absolutely the best chili recipe (and easiest) ever!
I am far from a professional food blogger or chef – but I know the best chili recipe ever when I taste it!
As a mom to 3 (two of them hungry boys) for almost 20 years, I’ve had ample time to try many chili variations for the family. And I’ve experimented with many different recipes. But, after making this recipe dozens of times for many different people, I have yet to have anyone say they didn’t love it. It’s THAT good!
This version is an abbreviated recipe from my chili cook-off, award-winning recipe. The original has 21 ingredients! Yesterday, I made this with the ingredients that I had in the cabinet and it turned out heavenly. My family isn’t a big fan of beans and my recipe does not call for them. But feel free to a can of kidney beans. Just make sure to strain them first!
This recipe is very flavorful and tangier rather than spicy. You can increase the fire by adding in some cayenne pepper, which I omitted here. Red pepper flakes add a little more spice if desired. But I promise, the recipe as written, is tasty and fantastic.
The Best Chili Recipe Ingredients
- 2 lbs ground beef (I use lean)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 – 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 Tbs Heinz 57 (or catsup)
- 1 Tbs packed brown sugar
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper (I omitted)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional – I omitted)
- 1/4 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 bay leaf
Instant Pot Instructions
- Put olive oil into Instant Pot pot, and turn pot to Saute.
- Add onions and garlic to hot oil and saute for 2-3 minutes until the onions become fragrant and start to soften.
- Continue by adding red and green peppers and then saute until soft.
- Add ground beef to pot and brown the beef while mixing.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Close the lid, make sure the pressure valve is set to “sealing”.
- Hit the pressure cook button, and set time for 35 minutes. Let cook.
- When the pot is done, let it naturally depressurize if you have time. Otherwise, do a quick pressure release by turning to “venting”. (Don’t forget to wear oven mitts.)
- Garnish with cheese or your favorite chili toppings and enjoy.
Cook for 4-5 hours.
I have no nutritional notes as this is my own recipe.
If you love healthy cooking, check out my other quick and easy family favorites…
And if you are looking for another alternative chili, check out The Paleo Popper Jalapeno Chicken Chili Recipe from SkinnyTaste. The ingredients are healthy and the taste is heavenly!
As always, thanks for reading. Please send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org with comments or questions. I’d love to hear from you! xoxo Jen